In the summer of 1938, docks were obtained at Yacht Terminals Inc., a boat storage facility, that is now called Sailing Inc.
The docks consisted of wooden four-by-four pilings and two-by-four wooden decking and were constructed behind two sunken 100' barges.
On August 20th 1939 the group of boaters held its first meeting and decided on the name Forest City Yacht Club.
During the months that followed, a charter was obtained from the State of Ohio and a club burgee was designed.
In October 1941 a severe storm hit the City of Cleveland around 11:00 pm, and led to the destruction of the Yacht Terminals harbor. A week or so later an even more severe storm hit the City of Cleveland and the Yacht Terminals harbor. The storm broke up the sunken barges, and about 25 boats. Some boats 30' in length were reduced to kindling wood.
Not much progress was made until 1942 when a big break came. Land and water rights on a tract of undeveloped waterfront property adjoining Cleveland's Municipal Light Plant was acquired from Yacht Terminals Inc. A land fill was started north into Lake Erie, then veering westward over an old packet freighter called The Sturgeon, making it one of the safest harbors on the south shore of Lake Erie.
In the spring of 1946 the crane was ready for use. One drawback - The winches had to be hand cranked.
Plans were made for the clubhouse in 1948. Construction was started in the spring of 1949, and in no time there was a 20' x 40' clubhouse.
In 1952 the crane was motorized, eliminating the need to hand crack boats in and out of the water.
The center docks were installed in 1955. Two war surplus winches were purchased and installed on the crane, which completely motorized the crane. On December 12th the lease request had its first council hearing.
April 14th 1956 celebrated the signing of a new lease.
Construction began in 1958 on new north shore main docks. An addition to the clubhouse was added that doubled it in size. In 1968, another addition was added to the clubhouse, which included new rest rooms, showers and a storage room.
The old south dock was ripped out and rebuilt in 1975, catwalks were raised, and some badly needed pilings were driven.
On March 30th 1979 Forest City Yacht Club had the privilege of signing the first lease given to a Cleveland yacht club by the State of Ohio covering ten years with a five-year option.
In August 1980, ground was broken for the new John "Pop" Suvak Memorial service building. The building was dedicated in November. New electrical service was installed on the docks in 1981. The crane was renovated, and the restrooms were remodeled. A new 30 amp electrical system was completed on south and center docks in 1982.
The crane came crashing down in July 1983. Luckily no one was injured. Spurred on by the Commodore and with the help of many staunch volunteers the new rail crane was completed by lift out.
In August 1985 a leak was detected at the gas dock. In December the old gas dock paraphernalia was removed and replaced complete with a new tank, plumbing, and pump. The Clubhouse was remodeled and new windows and doors were installed. The members constructed the center dock pavilion.
Forest City Yacht Club celebrated it's 50th year anniversary in 1989.
The 90's brought a clubhouse expansion that included a large room on the North side, larger bathrooms and storage facilities. The center dock was expanded and wood decking was installed on center dock due to rising waters.
The millennium brought many new services and amenities to Forest City Yacht Club including several improvements to the docks, parking lots and walkways. A new entrance into the clubhouse was constructed with a canopy and a swimming pool was constructed. The ongoing improvements allow Forest City Yacht Club to enjoy an incredible reputation among members and guests.